Research Aides & Ready References
Research Aides & Ready Reference Information literacy, the selection and evaluation of good research tools, is a crucial skill in today’s society. The resources below are offered as an aid in the process, however, the librarians are always there to assist you in your work. Feel free to stop in and ask at any time. Additionally, handouts of recommended websites by subject can be found in the library for your use.
A bibliography is an alphabetized list providing information about resources used or consulted while preparing a paper or project. The purpose of the bibliography is to attribute unoriginal ideas to their proper sources -- and to help the reader locate and utilize those sources. (Education Week)
- www.Easybib.com A free internet tool to help you create bibliographies.
- www.Noodletools.com Avon Old Farms has secured a subscription to this site for creating bibliographies. Initially, you will need to create a personal account with user name and password. Several style choices are available and help for each kind of citation. These can be saved until the research is complete and then moved to MSWord for additional formatting. If you have any questions, please see the librarian for assistance.
Organizer for Websites:
- www.Backflip.com organize your favorite websites and access from any computer, anytime – fabulous tool
- A great resource for online citation help
- Purdue University writing center guides
- Duke University Library’s citation guides
- Kathy Schrock’s Guide
General Reference Websites
Online Reference Tools:
- Bartleby Reference Desk
- Internet Public Library
- Library of Congress
- Library Spot
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet
- Purdue Ready Reference Desk
- Virtual Library
- Yahoo Ready Reference
Online Dictionaries, Thesauri, Grammar
- American Heritage Book of English Usage- grammar, style, diction, word usage, formation, gender, social groups, and scientific forms.
- Lexicool.com -Large database of bilingual and multilingual dictionaries.
- Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
- Roget’s New Thesaurus - 3rd edition; 35,000 synonyms.
- Semantic Rhyming Dictionary
- SYMBOLS.com - encyclopedia of graphic symbols.
MISC Online reference tools:
- Bartleby Quotations
- Farmers’ Almanac
- Library of Congress
- Maps @ National Geographic
- Nation Master
- National Archives
- Purdue Writing Center
- Quotations, Clichés & Proverbs
Online News Resources: