Class of 2020
- Students should continue notifying their counselor with admissions decisions and update their Naviance account.
- Please let us know if your son has selected the school to which he will attend.
- Due to COVID-19, many schools have extended their deposit date. Check with your son’s school to make sure you meet the deadline. Please do not deposit at more than one college.
- If your son chooses to remain on a waitlist, he still must deposit at another school. If he is accepted off a waitlist, he will withdraw from the first college and then deposit at the one that took him off their waitlist. This will result in the loss of the original deposit.
- Have questions? We can help! Contact your son’s College Counselor.
Class of 2021
- Avon Old Farms, in conjunction with the Hartford Area Independent Secondary School Association, will be hosting virtual college information sessions on Tuesday nights. The upcoming sessions include:
- May 5: See You Online! Campus Visits and Demonstrated Interest in the Age COVID
- May 12: To Test or Not to Test
- May 19: Money Matters: Financing Your College Education
- May 26: What Happens to Your Application After You Submit?
Each session topic will be addressed by admissions representatives from various schools. These events are designed for students, so invitations to register will only be emailed to students. Students can also access the registration link in Vericross. Parents may view with their son/s, but only on the student’s device as the number of participants is limited.
- There are many opportunities to explore colleges online. Following is a list of options:
- Our College Counselors will continue meeting with their advisees remotely. Be sure your son responds to meeting invitations and attends.
- This is a good time to start filling out the Common Application. Students can create an account as a first year applicant and complete the Profile and Family information. We can help lead your son through the Education sections and the rest of the form.
- This is a good time to explore Scoir. Please have your son complete his personal profile and college preferences. In addition Scoir offers a comprehensive platform from which to explore schools including virtual tours through YouVisit and their detailed College Walls.
- Scoir also provides a survey tool in Career Preferences available through YouScience. Although it takes a while to complete, it can generate some potential major and career ideas based on survey responses.
- Have questions? We can help! Contact your child’s College Counselor.
- Many colleges have dropped required testing for the class of 2021. Others are dropping the requirement for multiple years. Announcements arrive daily, so it is important to check the requirements for each college.
- The June SAT test administration has been cancelled. In an effort to ensure students have the opportunity to take the SATs, if it is safe to do so, the College Board will offer testing every month for the remainder of the calendar year starting in August. Students can register for these administrations starting in May. Please see the College Board’s Coronavirus updates here.
- Avon Old Farms is working hard to be assigned as a testing center for the fall SAT and ACT test dates. For the latest updates please visit the ACT and College Board websites.
- Because of previous cancellations, the following SAT test date may be crowded. Please sign up as early as possible!
- SAT - August 20th, registration beginning in May.
- The following ACT test dates are still scheduled but may not be available at all locations. Please see the ACT’s Coronavirus updates here.
- ACT - June 13th, registration deadline May 8th
- ACT July 18th registration deadline June 19th
Questions? We can help! Contact the College Counseling office.