REAL Learning Online
Virtual Spring Semester: REAL Learning ONline
Our dedicated faculty are excited and prepared to work with our students in this classroom environment. The plan will ensure the continuity of learning and intellectual engagement for our students, as well as connection for our community. This program is designed to be student-centered, relational, and supportive.
The weekly schedule was created after extensive research into best practices with learning online. We have experience conducting online learning in the summer and our spring 2020 schedule emphasizes both synchronous (scheduled) and asynchronous (more flexible) learning. We have three specific schedules to share.
1. The plan is to meet all classes on Friday, March 27. Advisors are contacting each student by Wednesday, March 25, to make sure that students are informed of this schedule.
2. From Monday, March 30, through Friday, May 8, we created an alternating daily schedule to provide for both synchronous and asynchronous learning.This schedule is available in Veracross under “Daily Schedule” tab. We included an Advisor period and/or a Community Life period each day to emphasize personal support and connect students to our community. We also added two academic enrichment sessions each day to ensure our students are receiving the individual support that is a central feature to our academic program.
3. Beginning on Monday, May 11, through Thursday, May 21, students will be focused on cumulative class projects in each of their core courses. These projects will be factored into the fourth quarter grade in each course. There will be no separate final exams.
Zoom Video Conferencing
The school has partnered with the leader in delivering online learning to academic communities. Zoom is a powerful teaching tool that will allow teachers to have live and recorded meetings with classes, share content, and manage online learning. Faculty have received training using Zoom, and students are required to open their own Zoom accounts using their avonoldfarms.com email addresses. Advisors are meeting with students to support the student sign-up process. Zoom links for each class will be posted in Veracross on the assignment page.
The academic committee and school administration created policies similar to our student handbook, but modified for our program this spring. Students and families should be familiar with school expectations.
Teachers and students will continue to utilize Veracross to manage academic assignments, grades, and notifications.
Electronic versions of textbooks are being made available by publishers at no additional cost. Teachers will pass along the necessary information about e-texts from publishers, and will coordinate with students to make sure they have the materials they need.
Standardized Testing/AP Exams
SAT and ACT exams have been postponed for the spring. Additionally, the College Board has modified the AP exam format for 2020 to administer the exams online in a modified, shortened format. Details may be found on the College Board website. For this spring, AP exams will be optional for Avon students, and AP teachers will communicate with their students and advise accordingly.
- How will Avon Old Farms ensure that my son is continuing to learn?
- How will my son be graded? Will he earn credits towards graduation?
- Will my son be sitting behind a computer all day, every day?
- What about courses that are difficult to replicate in an online environment?
- What resources are available to my son if he begins to face challenges with learning?
- My son is becoming extremely anxious about the situation that has led to the temporary campus closure. What resources does Avon Old Farms have to support him?
- My son has a learning difference, and prolonged time behind a computer screen can exacerbate the symptoms, making it very challenging for him to learn. What support can AOF provide?
- My son is not feeling well and is not able to engage in learning. Is there a way to report an “excused absence” so he won’t be penalized for not engaging in remote learning?
- My son is registered to take an upcoming standardized test (AP, SAT, ACT) during a period of remote learning. Will he still be able to take it?
- My son attends Avon Old Farms on an F1 Visa. Will his status be jeopardized?
- What if my son does not have his course materials, textbooks, and/or laptop with him?
- My son does not have an available internet connection or device. What should he do?