Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I get sick in the middle of the night?

Our Health Center is open:

  • Weekdays from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. 
  • Sundays from 10 - 11 a.m. and 6 - 7 p.m.

When the health center is closed, a school nurse is on call for situations that require medical attention. Please call the Health Center at 860-404-4234 for assistance. If the situation is urgent, call 911. 

Where do I keep prescription medication?

All controlled medications and some prescription medications (prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder & Mood disorders) must be stored in and dispensed from our Health Center. Possession of any of these medications or certain cold and flu medications is a violation of our medication policy and will lead to disciplinary action.  

View Which Medications Are Allowed in Dorms

How do I fill a prescription for my son?

All scripts should be filled through RX Health Pharmacy in Rocky Hill, CT. This pharmacy delivers medications directly to the Health Center. Medications will not be sent home for breaks; please keep enough medication at home for you to use when your son is at home.

RX Pharmacy Contact Information:

  • Phone: 860-727-4064
  • Fax: 860-727-4084

Does the school offer any counseling services?

We partner with Dr. Dan Martin, Ph.D., a licensed and board-certified clinical psychologist. He provides brief psychotherapy and other interventions directly to students utilizing motivational interviewing and cognitive-behavioral strategies. In addition to having expertise in general psychological practice, Dr. Martin specializes in substance use assessment and treatment. Dr. Martin’s services are included in a student’s tuition and fees.

The School also has a relationship with a local psychiatrist, who provides medication consultation and management on campus as needed. The cost of these services is the responsibility of the student's family.

Dr. Dan works to respond to and support students' ongoing individual development. He assists adolescents in working through normative developmental hurdles, fostering adaptive solutions, and developing a strong sense of self. In addition, he works very closely with parents. 

About Dr. Dan Martin

Dr. Dan received his Ph.D. from Ohio University and completed both a pre-doctoral fellowship and a two-year postdoctoral fellowship at Yale University School of Medicine focusing on psychotherapy and assessment. Upon completion, he received a faculty appointment at Yale where he conducted studies that investigated pharmacological and psychological treatments for substance use disorders at their Substance Abuse Treatment Unit. In 2000 he published a widely-cited journal article that provides a meta-analysis of the literature on the importance of client/therapist relationship. Dr. Dan operated a successful private practice in New Haven and is board certified in Clinical Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology. He has been working with students at the Westminster School for the past seven years.

Is a PPD test required?

ALL international students, and students from high-risk countries MUST have a current PPD skin test (for Tuberculosis) prior to coming to campus. Students, especially ones from high-risk countries, will not be allowed on campus at all if they have not fulfilled this requirement. For students from high-risk countries, many of them will require an additional blood test because their PPD will be positive due to prior exposure.

How recently should our son have his physical?

We require a CURRENT physical exam for all students. If a physical exam has not been done within one year of the start of school, students may be withheld from sports.  Exams must be done and submitted yearly.  

How should medical forms be submitted to Avon Old Farms?

All forms MUST be uploaded through the Magnus Health Portal by the parents and/or student. Hard copies can not be sent to the Health Center for uploading. The Magnus Help Desk number for parents to call is: 877-461-6831.

Does my son need health insurance?

International students are automatically enrolled in the school’s health insurance plan; domestic students must provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage in the state of CT. Please submit a copy of his health insurance card (front and back) through the  Magnus Health Portal.

What vaccines does the school require to attend?

AOF follows the CT State vaccine requirements and also requires the Meningococcal vaccine (Menactra or Menveo). Students are required to have submitted documentation of all vaccines prior to coming to campus. A complete list of required vaccines can be found on the Magnus Health Portal. Students can obtain vaccines from their pediatrician's office or local health clinic. Make sure to call ahead to any clinic in order to confirm that they offer the vaccine(s) that your son needs. For the 2021–22 school year, students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to arriving on campus.

What protocols are in place for concussions?

We work closely with a local concussion specialist who often work with us to help us diagnose and then treat students with concussions.

Concussion Care

What sort of sex education will my child receive at Avon Old Farms?

Sex education is part of the curriculum at Avon Old Farms: students are taught by professionals as part of a developmentally appropriate curriculum for each grade.