The David C. Bigelow '44 Learning Center is FREE and is open to ALL students.
The Bigelow Learning Center at Avon Old Farms serves all students (with and without learning differences) as they work to achieve their academic goals, learn essential study skills, and meet the demands of a college preparatory school curriculum.
Our proven methodology—along with the solid relationships formed with the students—results in boys who gain an understanding of their own unique learning styles. Equipped with a new confidence and the right tools, these students are empowered to become independent life-long learners. Academic coaches work in concert with families and the faculty to help empower boys (with a wide range of learning styles) to reach their full academic, personal and creative potential.
- Is the learning center available to all students?
- How frequently are students scheduled to attend academic support?
- My son received academic accommodations at his old school, can he receive them at Avon Old Farms?
- How can my son secure testing accommodations for the SAT/ ACT?
- If a student has a diagnosed disability, is he required to tell the School?
- Does Avon Old Farms provide private tutors for students to work with for additional help in a course?
As parents of three Avon Old Farms boys we have seen the significant role the Bigelow Learning Center has played in our sons’ academic successes at Avon Old Farms and on into their college years.
The Bigelow Learning Center provides an environment where small classroom sizes get even smaller. The boys learn to feel comfortable with who they are as students and confident when asking for help, knowing they have a place and teachers to turn to for guidance.
Dr. & Mrs. Marshall (Connor '18, Brendan '20, Kieran '24)
“The Learning Center is more than just a place to get work done or receive extra help with strategizing for upcoming assignments. It is a place on campus that fosters friendships and enhances the brotherhood between students.” - Max Miller '19, Warden
Our team of nurturing educators can help a student:
- Manage time & learn organizational strategies
- Understand individual learning styles
- Develop active reading and textbook skills
- Take better notes
- Improve memory recall
- Strategize how best to work with learning differences
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Utilize tools to combat procrastination
- Procure excellent study habits
- Access available campus resources
- And more!
Our academic coaches will work side-by-side with students to unlock their ability to excel using a little bit of grit ...and a whole lot of expertise. With guidance, students will tap into their own innate toolbox of learning styles and be able to recall and use that reference for their entire life.