THEATER at Avon Old Farms School
"Theater is like a gym for empathy."Bill English of San Francisco's SF Playhouse
The theater is a place boys can go to build up the muscles of compassion, to practice listening and understanding, and to engage with people that are not like themselves.
Avon's Old Farms Theater Company stages two major productions each year. From start to finish, students have a strong hand in the finishing act. The Company also collaborates with nearby Miss Porter’s School; likewise, Avon students frequently act in Miss Porter’s theatrical productions.
The theater is a space where young men can try on new emotions and explore different characteristics. By performing in the Adams Theater, actors learn to develop self-expression, creativity, and confidence that carries through to other aspects of their character.
Whether a boy is interested in woodworking to help build a set, painting and set design, or manipulating technology to enhance the final results of a scene, there is a space for him to learn in the theater without needing to perform under the lights.
The Old Farms Theater Company continues Avon's tradition of nurturing the whole boy. Our skilled faculty open up a seat on the production team to students who are interested in mastering the theater from all perspectives, including directing and stage managing.
- A Cut Above (Fall 2017)
- Rope (Fall 2017)
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Spring 2017)
- Into the Woods (Winter 2017)
- Arsenic and Old Lace (Fall 2016)
- Twelve Jurors (Spring 2016)
- 39 Steps (Fall 2015)
- Othello (Spring 2015)
- Bye Bye Birdie (Winder 2015)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (Fall 2014)
- The Tempest (Spring 2014)
- How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying (Winter 2014)
- Macbeth (Fall 2013)
- Picasso at the Lapin Agile (Spring 2013)
- Damn Yankees (Winter 2013)
- Almost, Maine (Fall 2012)
- The Woods and The Zoo Story (Spring 2012)
- Guys and Dolls (Winter 2012)
- The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 (Fall 2011)
- West Side Story (Winter 2011)
- Twelfth Night (Fall 2010)
- To Protect and Serve (Spring 2010)
- Once Upon a Mattress (Winter 2010)
- A Flea in her Ear (Fall 2009)
- M*A*S*H (Spring 2009)
- Arsenic and Old Lace (Fall 2008)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Spring 2008)
- You Can’t Take it With You (Fall 2007)
- Crazy For You (Winter 2007)
- The Outsiders (Fall 2006)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Winter 2006)
- Footloose (Fall 2005)